I had my first interview yesterday, on the Ghostman and Demon Hunter show. I’m not sure how I did, but it was a good first interview for me because it was so friendly. Thank you Nathan and Shaun. You crazy men, you! (They are insane. But a good insane.)
I took a snapshot of my desk right at this moment because it’s a good peek at what’s going on with me, since I basically live at this desk. Notice it’s still dark out.
– There’s a cat on it, as per usual. Buddy.
– And the daffodils that I found and snapped up in an effort to improve my frantic state of mind.
– The pile with the People Magazine on top is the reading material I’ve been collecting for the various train trips I have in my almost immediate future.
– The Watchman belongs in that pile. It’s misfiled! It’s on top of my Beethoven Missa Solemnis score, which is still kicking my ass, but less and less.
– Behind the Watchman is my to-do pile. On top of that pile are the prepared answers I wrote for every question I could think of that people might ask me. (I blank sometimes in interviews, so I have to practice answers, just in case.)
– The phone is the old-fashioned, not-mobile one that I keep for emergencies. On 9/11 no one’s cellphone worked and everyone thought phone service was out, but it wasn’t. If you plugged in one like this you got a dial tone. I pulled it out for the radio interviews. Not just in case there’s a terrorist attack during my interviews, but because one place asked me to. Maybe the sound is better on non-mobile phones?
5 thoughts on “How do media people do it?”
I just found your web site. I love your pictures especially the ones outside your window. I came across your grade school picture and you remind me of my second grade girl friend. Good luck tonight on Art Bell’s radio show, that is how I discovered your web site.
I kept checking your blog to see if you’d be on Coast to Coast. My friend emailed me this morning that she heard you last night.
How come you didn’t post it about it?
Or did I miss an earlier post? So sad I missed it.
How did it go?
i thought your coast to coast interview was extremely entertaining as i had a blast!
are you single????!?!?!?!
Big Book Day! Congratulations!
More nice comments!! I love you people!! Thank you Joe, Tim, Nadine!! I was just saying in the other comments section and in a post, I really am feeling embarrassingly fragile and these comments (and email) are bucking me up!
Ellen, I think it went okay. You can go to their website and hear it (but it’s not free to listen to the archives so I certainly understand it if you don’t listen!).